Re: Anyone have scripts for managing interfaces under new CARP setup?

From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:33:20 -0700
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2013-04-02 1:52 AM, "Gleb Smirnoff" <glebius_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>>   Freddie,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 04:10:03PM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> F> Just curious if anyone has any scripts for managing fail-over of
> multiple
>> F> interfaces using the new CARP setup in 10-CURRENT.
>> F>
>> F> Fail-over of all CARP vhids associated with a single interface is
> working
>> F> correctly.  But, I have 2 separate, physical interfaces running with
> CARP,
>> F> and want to fail-over everything if one of the links (or boxes) goes
> down.
>> F>
>> F> Figured I'd ask around to see if anyone has done something like this
>> F> already.  I've been playing with devd.conf settings and logging
> events, but
>> F> don't have anything written up to do the actual switch yet.
>>
>>   Same as for old CARP, you can achieve behavior when a box with lower
>> advskew yields master status to a second one, setting:
>>
>> sysctl net.inet.carp.preempt=1
>>
>>   If an interface on the master has proper link state notification to the
>> kernel, then once the interface goes down, the advskew on the box will be
>> demoted and backup box will preempt it.
>
> That's how I have things set and it wasn't switching the 2nd interface.
>
> However, I think that may be due to the IPFW rules on one interface
> blocking CARP multicast packets on that interface, while they were going
> through correctly on the 2nd interface. I'll see if I can schedule a manual
> test later this week now that IPFW is configured correctly.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation of things are supposed to work.

We use new-carp on 10.x on the freebsd.org cluster.  There's machines
with 10+ vlans with carp on each and pf.

I find some of the replacement tools a little lacking but one thing
I've done is use a dummy vlan to cause an entire machine to demote
itself based on bgp default-route state.  I wrote a script to do this
before I became aware of ifstated(8).  This is necessary for us more
because of the unusual uplink arrangement we have at one of the
cluster locations.

--
Peter Wemm - peter_at_wemm.org; peter_at_FreeBSD.org; peter_at_yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
bitcoin:188ZjyYLFJiEheQZw4UtU27e2FMLmuRBUE