Re: Kernel output interleaved on boot

From: Jeremy Chadwick <jdc_at_koitsu.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 21:52:37 -0700
I have discussed this problem for years now -- over 5 years, to be
exact.  As if I haven't sounded like a broken record before, I surely do
now.  Start here, under section "Kernel", item "Scrambled or garbled
kernel output":

https://wiki.freebsd.org/BugBusting/Commonly_reported_issues

The problem has not gone away.  It has not been solved.  It has not been
worked around.  PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE does not solve the problem, and rarely
helps relieve it.

I have discussed this issue more recently (2010) with John Baldwin as
well:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-March/214412.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-March/214423.html

And in December 2011 too -- particularly an important read if you think
increasing the number is a wise idea:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-December/065158.html

Bottom line: there is no solution other than to switch OSes.

And yes, I am aware of how GSoC works, but this really should have
become a GSoC project by now, otherwise the Foundation should have
funded someone to fix this.  It makes kernel debugging basically
worthless.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc_at_koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |