Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:48:43 -0700
In message <18DF99B0-6E66-4906-A233-7778451B8A92_at_felyko.com>, Rui Paulo
writes:
> 2013/04/15 9:55$B!"(BCy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com> $B$N%a%C%;!<%8(B:
>
> > I've been planning on taking on IP Filter for quite some time.
> > Unfortunately I've left my src commit bit lapse (my ports commit bit is
> > alive and well though) thus I'm looking for a mentor. In addition I'm
> > working on an ACER WMI/ACPI kld. One mentor would be preferred but two
> > would be fine too.
>
> What are your plans regarding ipfilter? I remain unconvinced that it should b
> e in the base system. Perhaps you can work on it as a port?

The initial plan was to import IP Filter 5.1.2 into HEAD. darrenr_at_ hadn't
done much with IPF while employed with Sun. Since then there has been some
development that is long overdue for HEAD.

I'm not sure if I'd MFC it into 9 or not.

I did consider a port but given it would has to touch bits and pieces of
the source tree (/usr/src), a port would be messy and the decision was made
to work on importing it into base.

> Why do you want to work on something that people have been trying to remove s
> ince 2005?

I and others have been using it in FreeBSD for over decade. For the longest
of time we'd use a common set of rules across a FreeBSD and Solaris farm
(using ipfmeta, makefiles, rsync, rdist, and a local CVS repo).
Interoperability with other systems which use IP Filter is a plus. If
there's a maintainer, it only makes FreeBSD richer. Losing IP Filter would
be a loss.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>