Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:45:49 -0400

On 2013-04-15 15:27:55 -0400, Cy Schubert wrote:
> In message <A2450361-D9E9-498F-AD44-846563EF04CB_at_yahoo.com>, Scott
> Long writes:
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Cy Schubert
>> <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com> wrote:

>> (B:

>> d b
>>>
>>> The initial plan was to import IP Filter 5.1.2 into HEAD.
>>> darrenr_at_ hadn't done much with IPF while employed with Sun.
>>> Since then there has been some development that is long overdue
>>> for HEAD.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if I'd MFC it into 9 or not.
>>>
>>> I did consider a port but given it would has to touch bits and
>>> pieces of the source tree (/usr/src), a port would be messy and
>>> the decision was made
>>
>>> to work on importing it into base.

>> e s
>>>
>>> I and others have been using it in FreeBSD for over decade. For
>>> the longest
>>
>>> of time we'd use a common set of rules across a FreeBSD and
>>> Solaris farm (using ipfmeta, makefiles, rsync, rdist, and a
>>> local CVS repo). Interoperability with other systems which use
>>> IP Filter is a plus. If there's a maintainer, it only makes
>>> FreeBSD richer. Losing IP Filter would be a loss.
>>>

>> If you're committed to maintaining IPFilter, that's great.
>> However, it can't be left to stagger along in a  zombie state
>> with nothing more than good intentio ns from well meaning people.
>> What is your timeline for getting it back into sha pe and
>> re-integrating yourself into the committer community?
>
> I would think this would be my top priority right now. I'd like to
> see it at the latest level in HEAD. I would like to MFC to 9-STABLE
> at some point.
>
> Given that IPF already lives in src/contrib and src/sys/contrib,
> would the change in License from Darren Reed's own not so BSD
> friendly IPF license to GPLv2 be of concern. I recall there was a
> lot of concern over IPF's license change at the time. (FreeBSD
> moved it to contrib while OpenBSD removed it completely and wrote
> PF -- I'm not sure what NetBSD did).

FYI, NetBSD has PF from OpenBSD:

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/pf.html

Also, they upgraded it to the latest GPL'ed sources recently (and
moved to a different directory):

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/external/bsd/ipf/netinet/?only_with_tag=MAIN

Now they have their own packet filter, called NPF:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-announce/2012/10/17/msg000161.html

They have more choices now. :-)

Jung-uk Kim