Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:34:31 +0400
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 01:32:48PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
S> > Given that IPF already lives in src/contrib and src/sys/contrib, would the
S> > change in License from Darren Reed's own not so BSD friendly IPF license to
S> > GPLv2 be of concern. I recall there was a lot of concern over IPF's license
S> > change at the time. (FreeBSD moved it to contrib while OpenBSD removed it
S> > completely and wrote PF -- I'm not sure what NetBSD did).
S>
S> I would assume that the license change would be OK, especially since the other
S> option is to remove it (or let it continue to rot and be an eyesore) but I'll defer to those like
S> Gleb and Rui with a more vested interest in it.

I'm not a licensing guru, so I can't tell whether GPL ipfilter can live in
src/ and if it can, where should it be. So I expect someone else to comment
on licensing.

My personal, biased towards BSD, wish, is to import only the last BSD-licensed
version, move it out of contrib to netpfil, remove zillions of compatibility
(towards other OSes) code and just maintain it. Maintaining means fixing bugs
and catching up on kernel changes.

We can ask Darren whether we can switch the license to pure BSD. Since he himself
switched the entire license to GPL, the insisting on the following clause
seems strange, and expect he won't insist on it.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.