Re: control of order of inet devices

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 13:36:18 -0500
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:08:00AM -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Since people keep asking about this; maybe it's time we added a hint
> to the bus code that allows for the unit to be set based on the pci
> bus / slot / etc.

I don't see how that would address Willy's request.  Neither the unit
number or the if_index of an interface effects its order in
getifaddrs() output.

With modern bus hierarchies, you probably don't want to use the unit
anyway as it loses too much information.  Some along the lines of
Fedora's Consistent Network Device Naming would likely be more useful.
That would be fairly easy to implement.

-- Brooks