Re: control of order of inet devices

From: Joshua Isom <jrisom_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 04:27:44 -0500
On 4/17/2013 4:14 AM, Willy Offermans wrote:
> This is what I read in some of the articles or handbook as well. Can I
> reorder this linked list? Can I control the order by creating the kernel
> and reordering the inclusion of the device drivers?
>
> I am aware that the request sounds silly, but I have a third party program
> which checks its licence against the first inet device. Since I have added
> a new inet controller, the sequence has changed. Of course I ask for a new
> licence, but they want to charge me for that and I do not see any reason
> for that.

Load old inet devices like normal, in loader.conf.  Then load the new
device driver before networking, after rc's started.  If it'd because of
probe order, then you might just have to control the probe order the
hard way.  If the program's calling ifconfig itself, you could write a
wrapper to resort the output.  And call a lawyer, getting a new ethernet
card shouldn't void a license.