Re: panic when booting HEAD on i386

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 14:27:49 +0300
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 01:57:03PM +0800, Ganbold Tsagaankhuu wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Konstantin Belousov
> <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:52:35PM +0800, Ganbold Tsagaankhuu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to boot HEAD after updating, but unfortunately it panics with
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > panic: kmem_suballoc: bad status return of 3.
> > >
> > > I was only able to get image of the panic.
> > >
> > > http://www.mnbsd.org/ganbold/IMG_20130420_222353-2.jpg
> > >
> > > Does anybody see same panic booting on i386 lately?
> > > Tried clang, and it panics also.
> >
> > How much memory do you have ?
> > Do you have any tunables in the loader.conf ?
> >

> Following settings caused the panic:
>
> vm.kmem_size="999M"
> vm.kmem_size_max="999M"
I cannot imagine how this could work earlier as well, except by chance.

> Whether it is regression or not in previous version of kernel (r244046) it
> didn't panic on boot.
> Seems no information on UPDATING either.
Do you propose to enumerate all non-working or panic-provoking settings in
loader.conf ?

Why did you set this value at all ?

KVA on i386 is limited to slightly less then 1GB, where all the kernel
maps must be instantiated. Kernel uses the value of the tunable
vm.kmem_size literally, except it makes a mild attempt to prevent
foot-shooting by capping kmem_size to 2 * physical memory size.

You neglected to answer how much memory is installed on your machine,
but I suspect you have enough so that overblown kmem_map cannot coexists
with other kernel VA consumers.