Re: Computers Won't Turn Off or Reboot

From: Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist_at_alogt.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:59:40 +0700
Hi,

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:56:53 -0700
Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> CAn you trace down a rough subversion commit id window between when it
> worked and didn't work?

I reported this for a kernel compiled 13.03.13. It looks to me that the
problem is there much longer.

I also have an AMD machine with an older 10 from last summer. When both
machines have been on the same version, the AMD machine never crashed
but the Intel machine crashed very often on shutdown. Crash means that
the screen went black and it did not respond to network and keyboard.

The Intel machine never crashes for me when I do not start X.

You know that after starting X the console does not come back on Intel
machines. So, it is hard to tell what is going on except that the
machine does not power off and does not respond.

I know that this information is not very helpful. I am travelling most
of the time and as long as I am travelling, I only have access to the
Intel machine.

Erich