Re: forwarding/ipfw/pf evolution (in pps) on -current

From: Andre Oppermann <andre_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:35:07 +0200
On 24.04.2013 12:45, Olivier Cochard-Labbé wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> here is the result of my simple-and-dummy bench script regarding
> forwarding/ipfw/pf performance evolution on -current on a single-core
> server with one flow only.
> It's the result of more than 810 bench tests (including reboot between
> each) done twice for validating my methodology.

Thanks for your excellent work in doing this benchmark time-series,

> - One server with 2 NIC in the middle as a router/firewall, serial
> connection, and nanobsd image on it (very easy to upgrade): IBM
> eServer xSeries 306m with one core (Intel Pentium4 3.00GHz,
> hyper-threading disabled) and a dual NIC 82546GB connected to the
> PCI-X Bus;

however I want to point out that the Pentium4 has about the worst
lock overhead of all cpu architectures, even on UP.  This may cause
certain changes to look much worse than they are on currently popular
architectures.

For an estimate and time-series comparison your bench test is very
helpful though.

--
Andre