Re: svn error during 'make buildkernel'?

From: Erich Dollansky <erich_at_alogt.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 08:10:09 +0800
Hi,

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 15:17:02 -0700
Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 05:43:13PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:

> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Looks like an entry in /usr/src/UPDATING is missing if
> > > /usr/bin/svn* is forcing an obsolscence of a functioning
> > > installed port.
> > >

> > The port was at 1.8.x before I added the additional lookup of
> > svnlite to the script.
>
> My installed port was at 1.7.9.  I can't find anywhere that
> states that one must immediately upgrade to a new version
> when a port's maintainer updates it.  I've banged my head
> against the ports collection dependency idiocy too often
> to chase after every update.
>
> > There really is no need for UPDATING entry, since 1.7.9 is
> > deprecated, and the behavior you have seen is not a fatal
> > error with the buildkernel process.
>
> Installing a freshly built kernel when an ERROR message appears
> within the last 10 lines of 'make buildkernel' seems like a
> rather dumb thing do.
>
> > BTW, you should upgrade devel/subversion anyway, since there are
> > security vulnerabilities.
>
> 1.7.9 works/worked fine for updating my /usr/src and my personal
> svn repository.  The change to use svnlite in newvers.sh should
> have an entry in UPDATING to alert users that have a too old
> svn port that they need to upgrade.  I go as far to suggest that
> that the script should look for svn in the path before it looks
> for svnlite.

doesn't this show again that svn came a bit early? I wait only for the
day, when two versions are needed. One for the ports, one for FreeBSD
itself. Let us hope that this is all ironed out until 10 is released.

I see the need to integrate svn into the base system. But this should
not force to keep also the ports current. At least it should not
confuse users when they keep the ports a bit older.

I am aware of that we are talking of current here and I am aware of
solutions for this problem.

Erich