Re: svn error during 'make buildkernel'?

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:11:07 -0500
On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 08:55:30PM -0400 I heard the voice of
Glen Barber, and lo! it spake thus:

> The error generated is non-fatal, and once I receive response on a
> proposed patch, will be suppressed if the svn version used to check
> out the tree is not compatible with that used to check the version
> of the tree with the kernel build.

But not try the ports svn as well?  I mean, as breakage goes, it's not
even in the top 100; I'd _much_ rather have a kernel that I have to
guess the revision of but boots, than one properly recorded that
doesn't.  But it's still unpleasant, and is one of those things you
probably won't notice missing until suddenly you need it.

And this isn't just a presentism.  Sure, right _now_ devel/subversion
and base svnlite get along, but what happens when ports moves to 1.9
which changes the WT format?  Even if -CURRENT src gets upgraded
simultaneously[0], the same surely can't be said of every back branch.

I realize this is all still a WIP, and please don't read any anger
into my words.  But this _has_ been something I've found a little
worrisome since the original import/newvers change.  Heck, newvers can
show me version info if I'm getting my source tree from git or p4, but
can't handle ports svn?  By the time this works its way into a stable
branch, I really think it should either handle svnversion from ports
as well, or come with a big bright flashing warning that using svn
from anything but base svnlite for /usr/src is a degraded experience.

[0] Which still wouldn't really fix things, since
    /usr/bin/svnliteversion is arbitrarily old, not up to date with
    the source tree.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net