Re: expanding past 1 TB on amd64

From: Neel Natu <neelnatu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 11:42:44 -0700
Hi Chris, Alan:

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Chris Torek <chris.torek_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> (Apologies for delay in reply, family issues)
>
> I'd be fine with 4 TB instead of 16; and, at this point, with the latest
> patches, it's easily tuned.  The auto-sizing of the direct map is not
> affected by sparse space as it keys off Maxmem, which is not actually
> physical size, but rather "one past last valid physical page".

Here is the patch that I intend to commit:
http://people.freebsd.org/~neel/patches/amd64_pmap_4TB.patch

This patch bumps up the direct map to 4TB and the KVA to 2TB.

It is identical to the patch you posted on hackers except for changing the
limits:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2013-July/043139.html

Tested inside a bhyve virtual machine with a *very* sparse memory layout
with a memory segment that cuddles up with the 4TB limit.

best
Neel