Re: How to best overload the fileops ?

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:36:05 -0600
On Fri, 2013-08-23 at 13:06 -0700, Yuri wrote:
> On 08/23/2013 10:02, John Baldwin wrote:
> > There is something similar: see devfs_ops_f in sys/fs/devfs/devfs_vnops.c.
>
> devfs_ops_f is a local static fileops object for devfs. I don't see how
> is this similar to our situation. devfs doesn't overload any other file
> system, they are a file system on their own.

I think the point is that devfs_ops_f provides several devfs-specific
methods and then "inherits" the rest by referencing the standard
vn_whatever functions.  Since John recommended that you expose the
fo_whatever methods, I think he's suggesting you build your ops table by
providing your own close method and fill in the rest of the table with
the now-exposed kqueue ops methods.

It's not as neat and clean as "class epollops : public kqueueops {...}"
but it's probably not as bad as using clever macros to try to turn C
into a sort of C++Lite.

-- Ian