Re: [rfc] migrate lagg to an rmlock

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:16:33 +0100 (BST)
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013, Alexander V. Chernikov wrote:

> On 24.08.2013 00:54, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to commit this to -10. It migrates the if_lagg locking
>> from a rw lock to a rm lock. We see a bit of contention between the
>> transmit and
>
> We're running lagg with rmlock on several hundred heavily loaded machines,
> it really works better. However, there should not be any contention between
> receive and transmit side since there is actually no _real_ need to lock RX
> (and even use lagg receive code at all):
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-all/2013-April/067570.html

We should distinguish "lock contention" from "line contention".  When
acquiring a rwlock on multiple CPUs concurrently, the cache lines used to
implement the lock are contended, as they must bounce between caches via the
cache coherence protocol, also referred to as "contention".  In the if_lagg
code, I assume that the read-only acquire of the rwlock (and perhaps now
rmlock) is for data stability rather than mutual exclusion -- e.g., to allow
processing to completion against a stable version of the lagg configuration.
As such, indeed, there should be no lock contention unless a configuration
update takes place, and any line contention is a property of the locking
primitive rather than data model.

There are a number of other places in the kernel where migration to an rmlock
makes sense -- however, some care must be taken for four reasons: (1) while
read locks don't experience line contention, write locking becomes observably
e.g., rmlocks might not be suitable for tcbinfo; (2) rmlocks, unlike rwlocks,
more expensive so is not suitable for all rwlock line contention spots --
implement reader priority propagation, so you must reason about; and (3)
historically, rmlocks have not fully implemented WITNESS so you may get less
good debugging output.  if_lagg is a nice place to use rmlocks, as
reconfigurations are very rare, and it's really all about long-term data
stability.

Robert