Re: Why are cardbus drivers cbb(4) and pccard(4) still included in GENERIC?

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:03:24 -0600
On Aug 29, 2013, at 10:14 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> .. after tinkering in the USB world, i wonder what's wrong with this:
>
> * created a basic markup / description language to encapsulate what PCI/USB probing requires;
> * generated both config files _and_ .c / .h files for drivers to include;
> * have the kernel build process do .device_description -> .c/.h (for compiling) ; devd.conf (for runtime loading); an elf section if you'd like; and loader-mumble.conf (for loader autoloading.)

It is needlessly complex? You seriously don't need 1/10th that complexity.

We've talked about solutions in the past. I even have something that will automatically do the heavy lifting for compliant drivers (or did before it decayed). What's needed is for someone to step in and drive it to completion.

Like I said, this has been talked to death at least half a dozen times.

Warner