Re: RFC: less chatty system builds

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 22:35:47 +0100
On 16 Dec 2013, at 19:46, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> The following is a proof-of-concept patch to make system builds
> less chatty.
>
> It also has the nice side effect of showing more clearly
> which rules are used during the build and possibly help
> debugging the share/mk files and the individual Makefiles.
>
> The logic is the following:
> the environment/make variable SILENT (or any other name we may want
> to use; linux defaults to quiet mode and uses V=1 to be as verbose
> as we are),

I cannot imagine I am the only one that dislikes Linux's approach of not
showing exactly what it is doing, so I have no objection, as long as it
is not the default.  (I really hate having to hunt around for the magic
option to enable verbose output if I want to know how a program is
compiled...)

Also, if you want "silent" builds, you should use make -s instead.  That
is much less chatty than (IMHO) useless "CC foo", "LD bar" messages.

In any case, if anything like this is implemented, I would really prefer
something like CMake does, e.g. give you a percentage counter that
provides some information about how 'far' the build is progressing.

-Dimitry