Re: [HEADS UP] enabling LLDB debugger by default on amd64

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:47:46 +0000
Hi Ed,

How are you planning on building the LLVM / Clang libraries?  Will they be statically linked to the compiler and the debugger, or do you intend to make them dynamic too?  I found about a small slowdown with a dynamic clang, but the link times were much lower when building.

Currently, the LLVM build is one of the big serialisation points in our build system (we build each of the individual libraries entirely independently), so if you're hacking on the build system it would perhaps be nice to build a single libLLVM (in /lib/private) that could compile all of the LLVM sources in parallel and then be used by Clang and LLDB (and any LLVM-based binutils replacements we start to add).  This would likely more than offset the increased build time for LLDB on any multicore system.

David