Re: svn && ports, or the hen && egg

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:32:37 +0000 (UTC)
I had (still have) svn on a USB-stick installation of FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE.

So I tried to use that to checkout the src tree for FreeBSD-HEAD; re(4) recognized my on-motherboard (MSI Z77 MPOWER) Ethernet but couldn't connect.

So, after NetBSD 6.1_STABLE hung consistently on boot, NetBSD-current amd64 booted and connected the Ethernet through NetBSD's re(4).

So I checked out (cvs) NetBSD src and pkgsrc trees, updated system and packages, subsequently built subversion from pkgsrc.

Then I checked out FreeBSD src tree successfully, and was successful building the new FreeBSD from the USB-stick installation of 9.2-STABLE amd64, and I use that for src, doc and ports trees until I can build devel/subversion in FreeBSD, am having some troubles there, can try again without tests and tools options to see if I was overambitious in selecting build options.

Now I have wi-fi working through Hiro H50191 USB-stick adapter, device rsu.

Tom