Re: PACKAGESITE spam

From: Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd_at_bluerosetech.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 13:24:55 -0800
On 12/21/2013 1:05 PM, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 02:54:39PM -0600, Greg Rivers wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013, Steve Kargl wrote:
>>
>>> It did not ask how to stop this stupidity.  I asked to have this
>>> stupidity stopped by default.  The spewing of this information in
>>> /var/log/messages provides NOTHING.  Please turn it off by default.
>>>

>> Do you really feel that strongly about it?  Having a record of changes to
>> the system has always seemed like a feature to me...
>>

> Yes, I do feel strongly about it.  It is completely unnecesary noise.
> It should be off by default.  If someone wants to fill /var up with
> useless information, then that someone can turn on the noise.

It's about what's safe in the common case.  There are significant
security risks inherent in pkg's activities, so having a written
external record is the safe option.

I don't buy the "fill up /var" argument.  If your /var is so small that
pkg's logging risks filling it up, why are you not logging to an
external syslog server?  There are much more voluminous sources of logs
on a FreeBSD system.