Re: PACKAGESITE spam

From: Walter Hurry <walterhurry_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 17:51:17 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 15:48:49 +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

> Steve,
>
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 12:14:03PM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote: S> It did
> not ask how to stop this stupidity.  I asked to have S> this stupidity
> stopped by default.  The spewing of this S> information in
> /var/log/messages provides NOTHING.  Please S> turn it off by default.
>
> I am really suprised that someone might want to see this off by default.

I concur. pkg info provides details of *currently installed* packages,
whereas the information in syslog yields a *history*.

This arrangement seems eminently reasonable to me.

It all seems a bit of a storm in a teacup anyway, given that the logging
can be directed to another file or turned off altogether, depending on
requirements.

My vote: Maintainers, thanks for your efforts and please keep it as it is.