Re: PACKAGESITE spam

From: <dt71_at_gmx.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:28:42 +0100
Frank Seltzer wrote, On 12/22/2013 15:00:
> Greg Rivers said:
>
> Do you really feel that strongly about it?  Having a record of changes to
> the system has always seemed like a feature to me...
>
> Baptiste Daroussin said:
>
> this has been done and activated for reason, first for lot of companies, it is important (PCI DSS requirement for example), secondly I receive tons of request to actiavte on by default while you are the first to request it off by default
>
> Adrian Chadd said:
>
> The point is that some people like an audit trail. The audit trail for
> some people involves remote logging of syslog messages to a log host.
> This would include when packages are installed.
>
> My thought:
>
> Then why can't the messages about installed ports have it's own log file rather than /var/log/messages?
>
> As for this message:
>
> pkg: PACKAGESITE in pkg.conf is deprecated. Please create a repository configuration file
>
> Glen Barber replied:
>
> echo 'SYSLOG: no' >> /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
>
> And Shane Ambler:
>
> now we can turn it off which I don't think we could before.

All of this is mostly off-topic. I haven't had any opposition to logging. Instead, I originally thought that the PACKAGESITE spam was a result of a bug, because
-- the spam appeared with a recent installworld;
-- there were like 50 consecutive messages every now and then;
-- I don't recall ever setting up any PACKAGESITE-related variables (the timestamp on the file is 2013-04-05, so I could be WRONG);
-- I looked for pkg.conf (only) in /etc, and didn't find it there;
-- neither of the UPDATING files contain instructions regarding pkg.conf;
-- I haven't payed too much attention to HEADSUP mails in the last few weeks (what relevant things did I miss?).

Why is pkg.conf in /usr/local/etc instead of /etc? By contrast, why does the sample configuration file (/usr/local/etc/pkg.conf.sample) contain a line that links to a file in /etc, namely "#PUBKEY : /etc/ssl/pkg.conf"?

The pkg.conf of a -RELEASE won't be as "empty" as mine is currently (causing PACKAGESITE spam), will it? If not (obviously), then what will it look like?