Re: wifi and wpa_supplicant

From: Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov_at_mail.lifanov.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 11:03:11 -0500
On 02/04/2013 10:58 AM, CeDeROM wrote:
> Thank you Nikolai! Shouldn't this be a default when
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP" in rc.conf? :-)
>
> Best regards :-)
> Tomek
>
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Nikolai Lifanov
> <lifanov_at_mail.lifanov.com> wrote:
>> On 02/04/2013 10:37 AM, CeDeROM wrote:
>>> Hello :-)
>>>
>>> I am wondering how exactly the wifi interface and wpa_supplicant is
>>> organized - is there any script at wlan0 interface up that starts
>>> wpa_supplicant for that interface? Do I have to start wpa_supplicant
>>> by hand any time I bring interface down and up (it looks yes for me)?
>>> I have ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP" set in rc.conf so I guess after/when
>>> interface is up both wpa_supplicant and dhclient should be started..?
>>> What should I make to wpa_supplicant starts automatically when I bring
>>> wlan0 up? I am using iwn intel wifi driver.
>>>
>>> Any hints appreciated :-)
>>> Tomek
>>>

>> If you want to do this automatically outside of rc.conf, take a look at
>> devd(8).
>>
>> - Nikolai Lifanov

Well, ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP" should connect you at boot if you have
your wpa_supplicant.conf(5) configured for it.

There is a good writeup for it in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

Also, this should probably have gone to freebsd-users_at_ and not
freebsd-current_at_

- Nikolai Lifanov