Re: panic: LK_RETRY set with incompatible flags

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 10:15:49 -0500 (EST)
Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 06/02/2013 03:30 Rick Macklem said the following:
> > Since I don't understand ZFS, I have just posted a query on
> > freebsd-fs_at_, which I hope will get noticed by people who
> > may know why ZFS is doing this.
>
> Actually I think I have an explanation, just been busy past couple of
> days.
> The problem is precisely with .zfs/shares, which is a strange beast
> that
> currently has no practical use on FreeBSD.
>
> .zfs/shares has its own on-disk node. The node has some special
> properties:
> - it is a directory node
> - it is not reachable from any other node
> - its parent ID is set to itself (as for a root node)
> - its ID is stored in a special filesystem property
>
> At run time ZFS creates special vnodes for .zfs, .zfs/snapshot and
> .zfs/shares.
> The vnodes are special is a sense that each of them has its own v_ops
> different
> from v_ops of the regular ZFS vnodes.
> For example, vop_lookup method of .zfs/shares should return the .zfs
> vnode for a
> ".." lookup. The v_ops are sane and self-consistent and everything is
> supposed
> to work fine with them and provide some ".zfs magic".
>
> Except for one hole. The .zfs/shares vnode has the same inode number
> as the
> on-disk node. Also, its vop_vptofh generates fid_t consistent with the
> on-disk
> node.
> Then, ZFS vfs_fhtovp has a special case to do the right thing for
> fid_t-s of
> .zfs and .zfs/snapshot. But for some reason there is no special code
> for
> .zfs/shares. And so a regular ZFS vnode is created/returned in that
> case.
>
> And this is the problem.
>
> Regular zfs_lookup for ".." in this vnode returns the vnode itself
> because of
> the magic properties described in the beginning. And so on.
>
> We seem to have inherited this problem from the upstream:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.illumos.zfs/599
>
> I believe that currently NFS is the only user of VOP_FID and
> VFS_FHTOVP.
> There are also getfh(2), lgetfh(2) and fhopen(2), but I am not sure
> how widely
> they are used.
>
> In either case, I believe that zfs_fhtovp should grow a check for
> object ==
> zfsvfs->z_shares_dir and return the "made up" .zfs/shares vnode in
> that case
> (instead of a regular zfs vnode).

Ok, great. Thanks for the good explanation.

> Additionally, I am not sure, but perhaps zfs_vget() should do the same
> kind of
> tricks as zfs_fhtovp.

Well, zfs_vget() returns EOPNOTSUPP for .zfs, so the NFS server knows to
switch over to using VOP_LOOKUP(). If the .zfs/snapshot and .zfs/share
do the same thing, that should be fine, at least for the NFS server,
I think.

Thanks again for the explanation, rick