Re: Time to kill fdc ?

From: C. P. Ghost <cpghost_at_cordula.ws>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 14:33:00 +0100
On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>>> Unless somebody fixes the fdc driver to work in -current, I intend
>>> to dust of my axe and cut it from the tree later this spring.
>>
>>Any chance to get a user-mode fdc(4) replacement then? Maybe
>>in ports?
>
> Uhm, just how would that work ?
>
> If you just want virtual floppies, md(4) is your driver...

I was thinking of physical fdc(4). Is there a published interface
to access the hardware, i.e. to tunnel the commands and return
values to and from the device? Something like pass(4) but for
floppies? That way, fdc could be moved to user space and more
easily debugged.

> --
> phk_at_FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/