Re: 7+ days of dogfood

From: Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist_at_alogt.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:07:41 +0700
Hi Erik,

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:43:17 +0100
Erik Cederstrand <erik_at_cederstrand.dk> wrote:

=> Den 11/02/2013 kl. 00.38 skrev Erich Dollansky
> <erichsfreebsdlist_at_alogt.com>:
>
> > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:57:01 +0100
> > Erik Cederstrand <erik_at_cederstrand.dk> wrote:
> >
> >> And as long as there is no automatic can taster doing quality
> >> assurance of the produced cans, then foul cans will go unnoticed
> >> until a dog pukes all over the carpet :-)
> >>
> > Isn't this the idea of HEAD?
>
> It's certainly not the idea of HEAD that everyone should experience
> the same bugs, compile errors, runtime errors and even have old bugs
> pop up again repeatedly. It may be the consequence of running HEAD,
> but certainly not the idea.

ok, I agree that developers could react faster some times. But, isn't
it more important that the errors are caught at all?

> >> For this to change, we really need to catch up on years of neglect
> >> in e.g. src/tools/regression/. I really applaud the people doing
> >> the thankless job of changing this.
> >>
> > I do not believe that this all can be automated.
>
> I'm not saying that testing is all-or-nothing. OS testing is not
> easy, and many tests are impractical or expensive if they require
> real hardware in complicated setups. How do you reliably test an IEEE
> 802.11s mesh implementation? Or scheduling on huge servers that are
> too expensive to purchase? I think that is one of the reasons that
> FreeBSD has not caught up on automated testing and continuous
> integration. But regression tests are useful even though they don't
> give 100% code coverage. Currently, you can't even "make test" in
> src/tools/regression/ and run the tests that are there. Apart from
> the compile-tests done by the tinderboxes, I'm not aware of any
> coordinated effort to systematically do runtime or even performance
> testing of FreeBSD.

So, the best is still if people like me are eating dog food and start
complaining?

Do not get me wrong here. I do not complain about the fact that there
might be an error, I want to help poin-point the error with my
complaint.

Erich