Re: 7+ days of dogfood

From: Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:56:47 +0100
David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 11 Feb 2013, at 10:48, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de>
> wrote:
>
> > It's unfortunate that the builworld time roughly trippled since
> > 2010 but I guess that's progress and a more powerful system
> > should fix it. I certainly welcome clang in general, though.
>
> In that case, it's worth noting that you can shave a fair bit off the
> build time by not building gcc.

Those gcc bits are shaved off already, that's why the buildworld
finishes so quickly now ...

My last result with both clang and gcc seems to be:

>>> World build completed on Mon Dec 24 22:55:21 CET 2012

real    350m42.363s
user    253m5.477s
sys     50m0.024s

>                                  WITHOUT_GCC=yes in src.conf is
> worthwhile.  WITHOUT_GDB=yes is probably also sensible, as the gdb in
> base is so old that it doesn't understand most of the DWARF that clang
> uses.  We should have lldb ready for import in a few months, but until
> then using gdb from ports is more sensible if you plan on actually doing
> any debugging.

So far I didn't consider not building gdb, but I agree that it's
not too useful when compiling with clang and am already using
gdb751 for debugging anyway.

My impression was that the base gdb compiles rather quickly
(compared to more recent versions) and that it thus wouldn't
matter, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Fabian