Re: 7+ days of dogfood

From: Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd_at_daemonic.se>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 23:50:25 +0100
On 02/10/13 01:07, Steve Kargl wrote:
> In a long thread started by Peter Wemm on developers_at_, he described
> the move/upgrade of the FreeBSD.org cluster to using FreeBSD-10.  A
> part of his description included the need to test top-of-tree under
> actual real-world conditions.  In his words, FreeBSD should "eat its
> own dogfood."  The new installation on FreeBSD.org, of course, would
> test FreeBSD-10 under (heavy) server load.

Just another data point, I haven't read the whole discussion yet.
On my 5 year old laptop (Intel Core2Duo) amd64 system everything works
fine, including intel graphics using WITH_NEW_XORG=, everything built
with clang.  There is no sound issues or anything, except in libmpg123
when built with clang.  The only problem is that the laptop only have
2GB ram, which is a little on the low side these days.
I also have a desktop set up in a similar way, but with a ATI graphics
card (HD4850) and a core2quad processor.  That one works splendid,
everything build with clang and linked with libc++ (as opposed to
libstdc++) and using ZFS as a boot file system
In summary, it is definitely possible to run a FreeBSD desktop off of
current, and I've never experienced any big hiccoughs that were not very
much self-inflicted.
Regards!
--
Niclas