Re: Cross-architecture package installs

From: Tim Kientzle <tim_at_kientzle.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:55:44 -0800
>>> I'm working on tools to build ARM system images.
>>> Usually, these tools run on x86, which creates a problem
>>> for packages.
>>
>>> 1) Pre-install/post-install scripts.
>>>
>>>   These obviously don't work since the DESTDIR
>>>   is for a different architecture.
>
>> This is imho the main problem, and one of the long term goal of pkgng is to remove as much as possible any pre-instal/post-install scripts.

Well, you're very close to having this work:

The easiest approach I've found is to setup a simple
static webserver, use "pkg repo" to build the catalogue,
then:

    echo "Installing packages"
    PACKAGESITE=http://my.local.server/packages/arm
    export PACKAGESITE
    pkg -c $DESTDIR update
    pkg -c $DESTDIR install -y pkg
    pkg -c $DESTDIR upgrade
    pkg -c $DESTDIR install -y emacs-nox11

The only piece missing is that the POST-INSTALL
scripts are failing.

For the packages I'm using, it would be enough to provide
symlink support in the +MANIFEST file directly.  For other
packages, something like the "after next boot fixup" that
I outlined earlier would work.

But this is very, very close.  This is a big step forward
for non-x86 FreeBSD.

Kudos to the pkgng team!

Tim