Re: ports include /etc/src.conf? i.e. graphics/libfpx

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 21:21:37 -0700
On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 23:09 -0500, Mikhail T. wrote:
> 15.02.2013 19:12, Ian Lepore ???????(??):
> > The src.conf manpage is not in error.  The intent is that src.conf
> > applies only to the building of the freebsd world and kernel, that is,
> > the source that's usually located under /usr/src.  If settings from
> > src.conf are leaking into other builds, the error is in the makefiles,
> > not in the manpage.
> >
> > Unambiguous evidence of this can be found in the email announcing the
> > new src.conf file and why it was created:
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-March/061725.html
> >
> > I'm not an expert with the build system, and that goes double for ports,
> > so I can't say exact how or why it's broken, or when the breakage
> > happened (or even if it's been broken from the very beginning), but I
> > think that announcement email makes it clear the bug isn't the
> > documentation.
> Thank you, sir, for posting the link. Once I read it, however, I am
> puzzled. Because, contrary to what you are saying,it makes no statement
> about whether or not knobs in src.conf are (or are not) supposed to
> affect makefiles outside of /usr/src. The only paragraph mentioning the
> new file says:
>
>     - Options can be passed on the make(1) command line or in the
>       new /etc/src.conf (overrideable).  The reason for the new
>       src.conf is so we keep make(1) environment clean from these
>       variables outside world/kernel builds (make.conf pollutes
>       the environment as it's included by sys.mk).
>
> I fail to see, where in the above it says, that a private project's
> /home/ian/foo/BSDmakefile is not supposed to be affected by the system's
> /etc/src.conf. Do you?
>
> There may be other reasons for src.conf(5) to claim, what it claims
> about the file's "only purpose", but the e-mail you referred to is not
> one of them.
>
>     -mi

Since /home/ian/foo/BSDmakefile is not building something that is part
of  the freebsd world, or the freebsd kernel, then according to that
paragraph, a build using that makefile should not be affected
by /etc/src.conf.

I don't see any way to interpret the paragraph you cited other than
meaning that src.conf is intended to affect only world/kernel builds.  I
mean, it says that.  It says *exactly* that.  It even mentions the
existance of the file that should be used for settings that affect
things outside of world and kernel builds, to help emphasize the
difference with how src.conf is intended to be used.

-- Ian