Re: FreeBSD Testing Facility

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel_at_digsys.bg>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 15:14:06 +0200
On 21.02.13 15:04, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> Dear All ,
>
> During development of FreeBSD , testing is very vital .
>
> To my knowledge ( which may not be correct ) , at present ,
> Tinderbox is used to only compilation correctness ,
> means "Syntax" is tested .
>
> I have downloaded
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/10.0/FreeBSD-10.0-CURRENT-amd64-20130216-r246877-release.iso
>

> and tried to install it on an Intel DG965WH main board .
>
> During the first booting , it generated a panic message and entered into
> debug mode .
>
> For me it has crashed , because I do not know what to do in debug mode .
>

> On this main board , it is possible to completely install and successfully
> run
>
> Windows 7 ,
> Fedora 15 , 17 , 18 ,
> Mageia
> OpenSuSE

I stopped right here. None of the software you compare FreeBSD-current
to is an development build. On the other hand, you downloaded an
cutting-edge development build of FreeBSD (not released software) and
expected it to be stable. It is not. This is why it is not released. It
might not always break, but it might also damage your data and
(possibly) hardware too. Unless you agree to accept these risks, you
should not play with development versions of software.

Having said that, the DG965WH is quite old hardware and any stable
version of FreeBSD should work just fine there. You are unlikely to see
any benefit of the unreleased versions that are still in development,
such as supporting "very new" hardware etc.

Sorry if any of this sounds too hard, but it is reflecting reality. This
mailing list, freebsd-current exists to facilitate discussion between
those, who know they are running highly unstable, still in development
version of FreeBSD that needs lots of work to become more stable.

Daniel