Re: r247095 Boot Failure

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:14:07 +0100
Am 02/21/13 20:51, schrieb Konstantin Belousov:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:40:44PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> Am 02/21/13 16:28, schrieb Shawn Webb:
>>> I'm on r247095. My box is failing to boot on a Dell Precision T7500. I'm
>>> running ZFS as root with a mirrored root pool.
>>>
>>> Here's a pic of the box failing:
>>> https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Lq_jlX8of0o/USY4cqZ5BOI/AAAAAAAAGoI/Nd1LGPbFjHc/s1112/IMG_20130221_100723.jpg
>>>
>>> There isn't much useful information in the pic. No crash dump is generated.
>>> Where do I go from here?
>>>
>>> I can boot into kernel.old and that works as a workaround for now.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Shawn
>>

>> Well, I guess you faced the same problem I reported in two days ago. I
>> have this crash on ALL(!) of my FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT boxes, which use
>> CLANG as the default compiler as well as setting CXXFLAGS+=
>>  -stdlib=libc++
>> CXXFLAGS+=              -std=c++1
>>
>> The working kernel on those boxes is
>>
>> FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #0 r246949: Mon Feb 18 22:20:30 CET 2013/amd64
>>
>> On our Intel Core2Duo (Q6600/E8400) boxes the crash looks like yours in
>> the picture, but sometimes there is "trap 18" or "trap 16" instead of
>> the cryptic signs.
>>
>> On a more modern Ivy-Bridge i3-3220, I get blinking, funky funny clock
>> characters on the screen - this box uitilizes as a server the Intel iGPU
>> of the CPU.
>>
>> Since I use customized kernels, I tried to start with the official
>> GENERIC kernel and disabling every setting in /boot/loader.conf, but the
>> result is even with such a setting the same - all boxes crashes with the
>> kernel sources >  r246949.
>>
>> I also tried to enable the debugging features in the customized kernel
>> (as they are enabled in the GENERIC), but there is no chance to get any
>> backtrace, the kernel simply gets stuck or - on the mentioned box with
>> the ivy Bridge, simply blinking funnily as a home computer in the late 80s.
>>
>> Sorry for being unable to report more substantial facts on that.
>
> The supposed fix was committed as r247117.

Simply compiling a new kernel doesn't resolve the problem.

>>> Updating /usr/src using Subversion
/usr/local/bin/svn update -r HEAD
Updating '.':
At revision 247121.

This kernel crashes the same way. As it is supposed to be a gcc-change,
I guess I have to recompile the whole world? Doing so by now.

If not necessary to build world - then the bug is still persent - at
least in my case.

Regards,
Oliver