Re: ZFS problems

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:33:46 -0500
Hi Martin,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 07:21:39PM -0500, Derrick Dantavious Edwards wrote:

> > [...]
> > the Kernel and the ZFS tools in userland need to be updated at the same
> > time.
> >
> > Boot back into the old kernel and (cd /usr/src/cddl && make install)
> > to update the tools to a compatible version.

In mid-February, zpool version was upgraded to include lz4_compress.  My
understanding was that changing from the OpenSolaris ZFS version number
scheme (i.e., "v28") to what we have on -CURRENT (i.e., "5000") was so
that we can track crossing the point of no return with pool version
upgrades.

On my system, vfs.zfs.version.spa has been at 5000 since this original
change.

Is my understanding incorrect?  Or should vfs.zfs.version.spa be
incremented with major, non-backwards-compatible changes?

Thanks in advance.

Glen