Re: Response of *.freebsd.org websites are very slow

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:46:20 -0800
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Niclas Zeising <zeising_at_daemonic.se>wrote:

> On 2013-02-27 20:25, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> > I have installed snapshot
> >
> > FreeBSD-9.1-STABLE-amd64-20130223-r247167-release.iso
> >
> > # traceroute ftp.freebsd.org
> >
> > 3 failures : traceroute : unknown host ftp.freebsd.org
> > 2 successes :
> >
> > Route is Izmir ( Turkey ) -> Frankfurt -> New York -> San Jose ->
> > freebsd.isc.org ( 204.152.184.73 )
> >
> > and pkg_add is not able to find package site .
> >
> > Perhaps for many tries it may find in some of the tries , but this will
> not
> > be a feasible way .
>
> Does Turkey (or your ISP) have any sort of great firewall or other
> restrictions on network traffic?  Do you have a firewall somewhere?
> I have no trouble reaching www.freebsd.org and ftp.freebsd.org from 3
> different ASes using both IPv4 and IPv6.
> Regards!

Just in case it is relevant ot someone else, www.freebsd.com  is currently
unreachable via IPv6 from Level(3). While the address is announced by
Yahoo!, it is from an address block belonging to Level(3) but is being
announced by Yahoo!. This works fine as long as you are NOT using Level(3).
IPv4 is not involved.

NOTE: This may be a problem caused by n error on the part of Level(3),
Yahoo!, or FreeBSD. Without knowing details of how FreeBSD got the address
and what arrangements Yahoo! made for announcing it to peers, there is no
way to tell for sure. I can only say that ARIN shows no assignment from L3
to Yahoo or FreeBSD and the same situation is present for another /48 in
the same L3 /32.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com