Re: Auditdistd user question

From: Chris Rees <crees_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 14:20:05 +0000
On 2 January 2013 14:04, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there and please excuse my harshness.
>
> I just installed 9.1, and I tried to set up poudriere with 9/stable.
> It took a lot of time compiling kernel and world, and after this it all
> failed with message about missing auditdistd user.
> I just can't find words.
> Why this user presence not checked during buildworld at least? Or by just
> invoking updated Makefile? If there any need to build world without install
> it, wouldn't be better make some conditional flag,
> like BUILD_WITHOUT_AUDITDISTD, instead of silent building and failing after
> that at install stage.
> Of course, in current way just "buildworld" not broken, but "buildworld
> installworld" is.
> This looks like like carefully hidden trap, from someone with specific
> sense of humor.
> Or am I missing something, and this is not terribly wrong?

While I agree with you in principle, I must point out that you mustn't
try to run package builds on a newer jail than your host.  This causes
weird kernel/world synchronisation issues.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/169659 [for an example]

As far as I know there are no problems with running older jails on
newer hosts (thankfully).

Chris