Re: ZFS/RAIDZ and SAMBA: abyssimal performance

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 16:19:24 +0100
Am 01/04/13 15:45, schrieb Garrett Cooper:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml_at_my.gd> wrote:

>> And this is under [global] in /usr/local/etc/smb.conf:
>>    min receivefile size = 16384
>>    aio read size = 16384
>>    aio write size = 16384
>>    aio write behind = yes
>
> These are still pretty low, depending on what your networking/disk
> setup is like; my important performance settings are:
>
>         socket options = SO_RCVBUF=64240 SO_SNDBUF=64240 TCP_NODELAY
> IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
>         write cache size = 65536
>         aio read size = 65536
>         aio write size = 65536
>         directory name cache size = 0
>
> HTH,
> -Garrett
Well, now I have peak values ~ 120 MB/s when copying. I applied Fleuriot
Damien's values to /boot/loader.conf and yours to the smb.conf.
Somewhere in the handbook this should be documented! it is to much
efford to get SAMBA working properly with ZFS, if the tricks and
problems are so widespread over several architectural aspects of the system.

It could save a lot of time for adminsitartors and those which try
FreeBSD as a serving system instead of Linux.

Just for the record. I feel a bit confused about all the tricks and
tweak now "published" for ZFS, its magic L2ARC, the kernel_vmem wizzardy
thingis. The ZFS Wiki seems to be a bit outdated and confusing, it would
be a great deal if all these things could be lined up a s a primer with
a bit more explanations than "put this number there".

And by the way, it is like changing from hell to heaven having now ~ 100
MB/s throughput compared to ~1/500!

Thanks a lot,
Oliver