Re: LLVM 3.2: official stable port is still LLVM 3.1. Basesystem missing important LLVM pieces!

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 17:00:09 +0100
Am 01/06/13 15:52, schrieb Dimitry Andric:
> On 2013-01-06 13:55, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> While working with an OpenCL port that is depending on LLVM 3.2, I feel
>> very uncomfortable haveng to have devel/llvm-devel installed while the
>> official release of LLVM is 3.2.
>
> Please prod the port maintainer (Brooks) to update the llvm port
> instead.  I have CC'd him on this mail.
>

>> The port devel/llvm is still the older
>> 3.1. Is this going to be changed?
>
> Obviously, but this is at the discretion of the port maintainer.  If
> Brooks needs more time, then you will have be a little patient.  Also
> please remember that ports just came out of feature freeze.

I also filed a PR (
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=175059).

It seems, that the port devel/llvm-devel also misses some pieces of the
most recent LLVM 3.2, as it is needed to compile POCL properly, but I
leave this with the experts to change.

I try to follow a logical path: devel/llvm represents the recent
release, while devel/llvm-devel should be the development branch, 3.3 by
now.
I do not know whether we need LLVM 3.1 any more, since apart from the
POCL device driver backend via LLVM for OpenCL target I know about
nothing in the FreeBSD realm by now using LLVM. I might be wrong ...

So, I see forward to hear from the decissions made ;-)

Oliver