Re: ZFS/RAIDZ and SAMBA: abyssimal performance

From: Fleuriot Damien <ml_at_my.gd>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:21:10 +0100
On Jan 7, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Olivier Cochard-Labbé <olivier_at_cochard.me> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml_at_my.gd> wrote:
>>

>> Well perhaps the code to handle auto tuning isn't present in the driver itself.
>>
>> I'm not a huge fan of the idea, I believe it would be rather taxing to implement all the exceptions and that some could easily be overlooked.
>>
>> I believe it's better to have a more user-friendly documentation and let users tune the hardware to suit their needs.
>>

> And why not to provide a "simple" shell script that:
> 1. Collect the detected hardware device list
> 2. Collect the sysctl value
> 3. Popose all tunning tips regarding the detected hardware (including
> RAM/number of CPU/etc…) and the sysctl value
>
> This will kept default conservative value and guide the user to tune
> by itself its system.
>
> Regards,
>
> Olivier

Tuning isn't simply dependent on your hardware, it also *heavily* depends on what you want to do with your server.

A large database, a fast httpd serving tiny 2kbytes files, or a samba server have little in common and require different optimizations.

While I understand the motivation behind your idea, I still don't think it would be terrific.

However, who am I to stop you ?

Kindly feel free to conceptualize such a script and ask for testers here on the mailing list, I for one would be delighted to help.