Re: Circular port dependency

From: George Mitchell <george+freebsd_at_m5p.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:41:31 -0500
On 01/11/13 03:22, Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
> On (10/01/2013 20:21), George Mitchell wrote:
>> I grabbed the ports tree as of 308518, the RELEASE_9_1_0 tag.
>> devel/libtool won't build, because it requires autom4te during the
>> configure phase.  So I put "BUILD_DEPENDS= autom4te:devel/autoconf"
>> in the Makefile.  But autoconf depends on gmake, which depends on
>> gettext, which depends on libiconv, which depends on libtool.
>> What to do?
>
> Build devel/gmake defining WITHOUT_NLS:
> # cd /usr/ports/devel/gmake && make -DWITHOUT_NLS all install
>
> Why would anybody want NLS support in make in a first place?
>

>> I'm running on a CURRENT build on my Raspberry Pi.
>> -- George Mitchell

It turns out the circular dependency is the side effect of the FreeBSD
10 autotools fix.  Upon discovering that acinclude.m4 has been modified,
the port decides it needs to run autom4te.

I worked around the problem with "make -DWITHOUT_FBSD10_FIX", with no
apparent ill effects.  Perhaps the devel/libtool Makefile should always
define WITHOUT_FBSD10_FIX.                          -- George Mitchell