Re: Expanding ZFS RAIDZ on the fly?

From: Gary Palmer <gpalmer_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:08:39 -0500
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 04:11:18PM -0500, xenophon\+freebsd wrote:
> [...]

Probably more relevantly, NetApp can do it in WAFL, and WAFL uses a number
of concepts similar to ZFS in is design (witness the Sun/NetApp patent punch
up).  From what I understand of the NetApp method, they add the space to
the pool and as data is written to the volume, some of it is written to
the new disks.  Because WAFL is a COW storage system, like ZFS, even if
no new data is added, just modified in place, over time the storage is
balanced out among members of the aggregate (pool).  There is also a command
to forcibly rebalance the data from memory.

I don't know enough about ZFS to know why something similar can't be done

Gary