Re: ctfconvert again

From: Steven Hartland <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 00:21:00 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "George Mitchell" <george+freebsd_at_m5p.com>
To: <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 11:57 PM
Subject: ctfconvert again

> So I updated my FreeBSD machine to 9.1-RELEASE in the hope of getting
> past the ctfconvert problem that causes a build of 10-CURRENT to say:
>
> ERROR: ctfconvert: failed to initialize DWARF: Unimplemented code at
> [dwarf_init_attr(400)]
>
> while compiling every kernel source file.  Then I checked out head as
> of 245422 into a different partition and tried "make buildworld" (ran
> okay) and "make buildkernel" (failed with the same error as before).
>
> Do I have to build an early version of head before I can build the
> current version of head?                          -- George Mitchell

I believe the location of ctfconvert which is used is broken so unless
your system has a version of ctfconvert which includes the attr fix
you will always get this :(

The reason I believe this is:-
make buildenv
Entering world for amd64:amd64
# which ctfconvert
/usr/bin/ctfconvert
# which cc
/usr/obj/usr/home/smh/freebsd/base/head/tmp/usr/bin/cc

So where I believe ctfconvert should be being picked up from the
toolchain its not.

I've had a quick dig in the Makefile's but I don't know them well at
all and so couldn't find an easy fix :(

The workaround I'm using is:
make -DNO_CTF buildkernel

If someone who better knows the make system could suggest a patch
so that ctfconvert (and potentially other tools) are build and
detected in the toolchain that would be most appreciated.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster_at_multiplay.co.uk.