Re: Adding more tools to be used by operator group members

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:24:16 -0800
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Ah, the historical difference between shutdown -r and reboot....
>

> adrian
>
> On 22 January 2013 09:59, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 02:03:12PM +0100, Olivier Cochard-Labb? wrote:
>> O> There are only 2 useable tools by "operator" group members:
>> O> shutdown (and its child: poweroff, halt, etc?) and mksnap_ffs.
>> O>
>> O> On my HAL-less laptop, I've put my user in the operator group that let
>> O> me reboot/power-off it with shutdown.
>> O> But I would to be able to suspend-resume it too (with zzz).
>> O>
>> O> Here is what I've did:
>> O> for f in "/usr/sbin/acpiconf /usr/sbin/apm"; do
>> O>     chown :operator $f
>> O>     chmod 4550 $f
>> O> done
>> O>
>> O> What about configuring this permission by default on FreeBSD ?
>> O> And why /sbin/reboot isn't useable by operator too ?
>> O> Are there somes security issue ?
>>
>> +1 here. I was always annoyed and surprised by this fact.
>>
>> --
>> Totus tuus, Glebius.

While reboot is dangerous and should really only be used in single
user mode or an emergency, I don't understood why operator was not
allowed to do it.

for those who assume that "reboot" is short for "shutdown -r now", it
is not. Reboot does not bother shutting down stuff in rc.d while
shutdown does. This can result in shutdown not working, but reboot can
leave things like database files in bad shape.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com