Re: HP p2-1334

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:52:12 -0600
On 01/27/13 10:19, G B wrote:
> Recently I purchased an HP p2-1334 with an Inetl Core i3 and 6GB or
> RAM.  My sole reason for purchasing it is to use virtualization which
> needs VT-x and EPT which the i3 has.  However, my installations of
> FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-amd64, FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-amd64, FreeeBSD
> 10-CURRENT-amd64 (2 snapshots; r245673 was one), and also an attempt
> with FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-i386 all fail to boot.
>
> What happens after a successful installation is it tries to PXE boot
> and then fails to find a bootable disk.  However, OpenBSD
> 5.2-i386/amd64, NetBSD 6.0-amd64, and OpenIndiana 151a7 all
> succesfully install and subsequently boot.
>
> I tried multiple drives with FreeBSD and they all try a PXE boot and
> then fail to find a bootable drive.  But each of the
> OpenBSD/NetBSD/OpenIndiana installs/boot work on each of the drives
> tried with FreeBSD. _______________________________________________
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current To
> unsubscribe, send any mail to
> "freebsd-current-unsubscribe_at_freebsd.org"

The default partitioning type in FreeBSD 9+ is GPT, which provides a
number of benefits including the ability to use disks larger than 2 TB.
Some very new machines, however, have broken BIOSes that assume GPT ==
EFI and won't do BIOS-type boots from GPT disks. If you choose "Manual"
partitioning in the installer and choose either MBR or BSD for the
partition type (press delete on the disk first to erase existing
partitioning), does the problem go away?
-Nathan