Re: mounting root from NFS via ROOTDEVNAME

From: Eggert, Lars <lars_at_netapp.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:17:24 +0000
On Jan 29, 2013, at 10:13, Lars Eggert <lars_at_netapp.com>
 wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2013, at 9:34, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org> wrote:
>> I recommend that you do not use ROOTDEVNAME, and instead
>> you should follow the instructions which I wrote and contributed to the
>> FreeBSD handbook:
>>
>> "PXE Booting with an NFS Root File System"
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-pxe-nfs.html
>>
>> The content of this document is the same as the text file which Rick
>> Macklem pointed out (I wrote that too).
>
> I had read both before, and they're very useful documents. Unfortunately, they don't fully apply to my case, since I'm not PXE-booting the system; it netboots the kernel from a custom loader. So once the kernel bootstraps, I need it to obtain an IP address and then NFS-mount root.

(Whoops, hit send by mistake.)

That's what I was trying to achieve with the BOOTP and BOOTP_WIRED_TO options.

Hm, I wonder if I could simply use the custom loader to netboot tftpboot, and then follow your instructions... Will try.

>> BTW, if you ever visit the Netapp campus in Sunnyvale, California, feel
>> free to say hello, because I work around the corner from there. :)

Am there about once a month, will do :-)

Lars