Re: NFSv4 console messages (locks lost etc.)

From: Eggert, Lars <lars_at_netapp.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 08:36:24 +0000
Hi,

On Jun 29, 2013, at 2:45, Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> Btw, a NFSv4 mounted root fs will not work correctly, because the client
> name is generated from the host uuid, which isn't set when the root fs
> is mounted. I'm not sure what the client would use as its client name,
> but this will definitely break things badly if multiple clients use the
> same name. (And this might explain the lease expiry problem.)

ah, now that explains a lot. Since these are diskless clients, I had set hostid_enable="NO" in order to turn off the "/etc/rc: WARNING: could not store hostuuid in /etc/hostid" warning.

Turning this back on seems to have fixed the issue.

(It might make sense to have the NFSv4 code throw a warning when the hostid isn't set, if it depends on it?)

Thanks,
Lars