Re: SVN mirroring question

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 10:57:14 -0700
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> So I need to make a branch of a freebsd branch to do some work related
> changes.
> is it feasible to have our own svn repo and mirror a single branch into it
> that we can base
> out branch off?  Ialready have a full mirror.. so is it possible to keep
> one branch on
> the private repo synced up with the same branch on the mirror?
>
> We actually use P4 so the same question  for P4, except that I already
> have some answers for that....

If you are open to trying  github and git, I would recommend that
you give it a shot, because maintaining your own private FreeBSD branch off
of github using git is far easier than svn.

(1)  Look at the FreeBSD mirror on github here:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd
      ( also refer to https://wiki.freebsd.org/Git )

(2)  Create your own fork of the FreeBSD github repo:
https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo

If you follow that article, you can make local changes in your fork,
and pull down changes from the origin freebsd/freebsd repo.  I'm a newbie
to git, but I was surprised by how easy it was to do.

This blog post has some good tips:

http://splbio.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/basing-a-commercial-product-on-freebsd-using-git/

--
Craig