Re: Ipfilter pre-Vendor Import Issue

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 12:49:36 -0400
On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:21:36 am Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 01:00:02PM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
> C> > The BSD license allows us to put the code into FreeBSD w/o any
separation.

> C> > So the question is: what is more handy to us?
> C> >
> C> > What do we actually gain having contrib/ipf, assuming we got vendor
branch
> C> > already?
> C> >
> C> > What we lose is:
> C> > - more complex Makefiles
> C> > - more complex hacking: edit files in one place, run make in other
> C>
> C> How is this for a plan?
> C>
> C> Instead of importing the kernel bits into vendor-sys/ipfilter and the
> C> userland bits into vendor/ipfilter, the base tarball should be imported
> C> into vendor-sys/ipfilter (or vendor/ipfilter, doesn't matter which). We
> C> keep the complete tarball imported into one place in the tree.
>
> I'd prefer vendor/ipfilter as single place of vendor imports.
>
> C> Merge ipfilter into sys/netpfil/ipfilter (for kernel bits) and
> C> netpfil/ipfilter (for userland bits).
> C>
> C> We should probably think of moving pf and ipfw into the new subdirectory
as
> C> well, but that's for a future discussion.
>
> No, userland tools should be placed in bin|sbin|usr.bin|usr.sbin,
> according to the place where they are installed. An exlusion can be made
> adding a intermediate subdir (like this is already done for ipfilter tools),
> to group all related tools together.

Please, please!

Let's not make ipfilter some random one-off vendor source that imports code
into random places.  The remaining instances of that that we have (such as
stdtime) are a PITA to deal with.

vendor/ipfilter == userland bits => contrib/ipfilter.  You then put suitable
Makefiles/build glue that uses .PATH in usr.bin|sbin|whatever.

vendor-sys/ipfilter == kernel bits => sys/contrib/ipfilter.  You then fix
sys/conf/files, etc. as appropriate.

This is our _standard_ practice for dealing with this stuff.  This is how all
the OpenSolaris bits for Dtrace and ZFS are handled (except that they end up
in a cddl directory instead of contrib).  GENERIC / LINT builds can include
things from sys/contrib just fine, so ipfilter won't be missed by builds, etc.

--
John Baldwin