Re: hacking - aio_sendfile()

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:04:57 -0700
On Jul 11, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:44:32AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:

>>> Yes, it is naive, but for different reason.
>>>
>>> The kern_sendfile() is synchronous function, it only completes after
>>> the other end of the network communication allows it. This means
>>> that calling kern_sendfile() from the aio thread blocks the thread
>>> indefinitely by unbounded sleep.
>>

>> No, kern_sendfile is async unless you specify the SF_SYNC hack flag.
>> Otherwise, it'll fill the socket buffer and then return immediately, unless
>> the socket buffer is full and the socket is set to blocking mode.  That's
>> outside the scope, as I said in my previous email.
>
> You do not understand what I said, please re-read both my mail and code
> before replying.  Implementing aio_sendfile() as proposed would create
> yet another possibility of indefinitely block all processes using aio.

I'm lost, maybe I missed some emails?  I see a set of emails where you incorrectly
state that kern_sendfile() will always call sbwait(), and then you backtrack on that
and claim that it's unacceptable to enforce that SS_NBIO be used for aio operations.
I apologize if I'm missing something here.

Scott