Re: [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by default

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman_at_hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 02:13:54 -0400 (EDT)
In article <20130714054840$7f8f_at_grapevine.csail.mit.edu>,
dteske_at_freebsd.org writes:

>How about rquery? What protocol does that use? and what does it talk to?

It accesses the sqlite database in /var/db/pkg that was previously
retrieved from the remote repository.

>Question: Where can I learn more about the actual format of what's in
>the new tarballs? This is going to be important not for bsdconfig, but
>$work (we have our own build platform; I'm going to have to rewrite it
>from mastering PLIST files to mastering YAML MANIFEST files and I want
>to know all the gritty details).

You really shouldn't know about the actual format of the tarballs;
your time would be better spent learning the new "pkg create", "pkg
register", and "pkg repo" commands.  Depending on your needs, you
might want to write to the libpkg API instead.

-GAWollman