Re: Ports with daemons on uninstall...

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 09:23:44 -0700
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Mark Felder <feld_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013, at 8:44, RW wrote:
> >
> > Is that really correct? I would expect the deinstall to be done after
> > the build has completed successfully.
> >

> That might not be accurate with a current portmaster, but we used to
> have that happen all too frequently. I just checked the plist and it has
> _at_stopdaemon mysql-server, so I'm guessing portmaster would run that too
> prematurely.

The reality is that some ports take a LONG time to just install, especially
when libtool is involved. I want the old daemon running until the old one
is installed. Then either the make or I can restart the daemon which
results in a downtime of about  two or three seconds. Stopping before the
new version is installed guarantees a much longer outage.

Yes, I also see some possible nasty races in a few cases, not most would be
fine.

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com